The Bridge to Practice© clinical model allows students to engage in a variety of clinical experiences at one institution.
Over student's four year program of study, the Bridge to Practice Model© provides 415 hours of clinical experiences (9 academic credits) focused on medical-surgical nursing. These clinical practica progress from Adults in Health and Illness (an introductory nursing course) to Medical/Surgical Nursing Leadership, a senior level Seminar and Practicum course taken in the last semester of baccalaureate study.
This model combines the best of classroom education and comprehensive hospital-based internships. Students greatly benefit by this partnering of CUA faculty with hospital-based nurses to create a supportive environment for hospital-based nursing students.
- Student completes a clinical placement application that lists preferences, relevant experiences and special needs.
- Student is matched to a hospital based on specific criterion (similar to residency match program)
- Student completes all their medial surgical clinical hours in the assigned facility.
- One CUA faculty member is assigned to each hospital to assist hospital-based preceptors who are working with each clinical group of students.
- Ongoing evaluation of the model will be implemented involving students, faculty and hospital staff.
- Promotes more comprehensive relationship between the student and hospital
- Longer window of opportunity for student nurse recruitment
- Opportunity for senior nurses to share their expertise with BSN nursing students